Blissfully Fit Blog

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Student Blog: Tarsi Dunlop

Seva
Tarsi Dunlop began taking classes at MYBO in late January 2013 when the studio opened. She takes classes regularly and enjoys both the challenges of a rigorous practice such as Ashtanga and the calm meditative element of setting an intention. She is deeply appreciative of the wonderful studio community and staff who are so supportive of the students. Tarsi currently works in education policy and advocacy at a nonprofit in Alexandria. She received a BA in political science from Middlebury College in Vermont and hails from Western Massachusetts. 

It’s the time of year when we get to reflect and give thanks for all the good things we appreciate in our lives. My yoga studio had a theme for November: Seva. According to a 2003 article in Yoga Magazine, on one level Seva relates to service. But as a form of yoga, its essence can be found in the two words from which it is comprised saha and eva, meaning “with that” and “too” or seva—“together with.” It is an expression of compassion and describes actions based on togetherness and integration that seek a collective upliftment through an understanding of the needs of others.  Seva is a practice of purification or transformation, with the focus moving from body to mind and specifically to the components that we relate to our personalities and our identification with the world around us, such as culture, gender, education, and socialization, which are considered part of our artificial construct. In Seva yoga, you are asked, challenged perhaps, to do tasks that are not in line with your typical way of thinking or behaving.
It is those parts of our personalities that can be so hard to acknowledge, and to take in an image of ourselves and break down walls we may have put up that prevent us from practicing compassion can be even harder. In a busy city life with a million things to do and places to be, it is not easy to end up in this state of mind. However, this practice has been rewarding on a deeply personal level.
Here’s one example. About a month ago, I was the target of a scam. The details aren’t that important, and it wasn’t a big deal; I didn’t lose much money. But, I fell for it because I was trying to be generous and help a young woman in a grocery store parking lot whose story and situation sounded fairly convincing. I found out it was a scam, not because she never reimbursed me, but because she tried the same line on me two weeks later—I was almost amused. I feel as if I am somewhat memorable, but apparently she really does do this a lot. For me, the biggest issue was that my attempt to be generous, with money, ended up with this result. So, I was faced with two choices: I could be hurt and angry with both the person and myself, or I could try to dig a little deeper into that pool of generosity and practice compassion toward both of us. I recognized a need within myself for compassion and understanding, so I have chosen to go that route, but if I ever see her again, this decision will definitely be tested.
Here’s a slightly different example from the week before Thanksgiving. I went from a workshop focusing on Seva to run some errands, including checking the air in my tires for my trip home. The older woman in front of me was moving a bit slowly, and the guy behind me (only in a city do you have a line for air) eventually got out of his car and just stood there, so I opened my car door and leaned out to see what he wanted. He made some fairly asinine comment along the lines of how long does it take to put air in your tires? I just shrugged, unimpressed, said I didn’t know, and closed my door.
But then, I was faced with a dilemma. I did not want to rush and I did not want him sitting in line behind me, making me feel rushed. So I started up the car, drove out of the line and pulled back in behind him. He then filled up his two tires and I really thought he wasn’t going to acknowledge me at all (and given his attitude, I wouldn’t have been surprised), but then he touched his hand to the brim of his baseball cap and nodded his head at me. It was a brief connection between strangers in a situation that could have been left to fester.
I ended up not having enough change on me, so I went back a few days later, and as I was fiddling with the hose and the pressure gauge a random man walked up with a tire he needed to put air in and offered to help. I protested a bit, as I consider myself to be capable, but he was insistent and made quick work of double checking the pressure. I am honestly a bit surprised by how putting positive energy out into the world really does seem to be paying off, either internally or with my interactions with others.
The yoga studio is also highlighting the importance of Seva this month because it pertains to service, sharing, and gratitude. In addition to providing me with an opportunity to grow personally, it has created a space in my busy life to really practice gratitude and to recognize communities around me and the importance of being in service to each other. I was home over Columbus Day weekend, for the first time since last Christmas, for Rawson Brook Farm’s thirtieth anniversary celebration. The preparations had been taking place for months, and the morning brightened into a stunning fall day in New England. There were amazing food entries, celebratory sips, and reminiscing all around. Many folks had been eating Monterey Chevre since well before I was born and just as many are extended farm family. The community came out to celebrate this milestone event for the family business, a place I’m so proud to call my home.
Reflecting back on the many hugs and quick but meaningful conversations, I am struck by gratitude for the individuals in the Berkshire community that are such an integral part of my life. And I am grateful to my mom for opening up her home as a place for customers to visit where they can come to gain an insider’s knowledge of how their food is made and connect to the entire process from start to finish. They develop this connection with the farm itself, and they bring their children, who then return years later with their children. Visiting the farm becomes a family tradition. When I think back on the celebration, I remember the sense of togetherness: the connections, the relationships, and the uplifting nature of the farm community. I appreciate my mom’s example of giving to the community and creating such a special place for folks to return to again and again.
I hope everyone had a healthy Thanksgiving filled with gratitude and community, and I wish you all a wonderful month of December as we close out 2013.

—Tarsi Dunlop

This post originally appeared in the Monterey News

No comments:

Post a Comment