Blissfully Fit Blog

Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Center of My Mat

Submitted by Mind Your Body Oasis student: Tarsi Dunlop


A yoga studio opened in my previous building last January. In the dead of winter, running outside was fairly unpleasant, so this new venue piqued my curiosity. In addition to exercise, I was looking for some activity that was unrelated to my professional world or future academic pursuits. I needed a different dynamic in my life to change the rather pronounced monotony I felt at the time.
I was a yoga novice, but I had a hunch that I would improve with practice. I walked up to the counter, and a young woman with a cheerful and engaging demeanor, covered in tattoos, made me feel instantly at home. Her class, the first I took, was a rigorous flow, with one breath for every movement, but I left feeling calm, healthy, and focused. It turns out that it’s difficult to be bad at yoga, although one can always improve, especially with caring and supportive instructors. I signed up for the introduction month at a discount rate shortly thereafter, and as I took different classes with a range of instructors, I could feel the subtle changes in my body—greater flexibility and strength, and then, more surprising, a gradual mental shift. I felt more and more at home in the studio community. All of the instructors prioritize their students’ physical and mental health and wellbeing; they are all committed to providing a warm and peaceful space for us to come to so we can let go of the world around us and come back to a place of centeredness.
First, I should confess that I was not expecting to become a yogi—although I know others who swear by the practice. My initial intent was simply to exercise and stay out of the elements and introduce a new element into my life. Yet, after about three weeks, something unexpected happened—I started to open up to the possibility of the more spiritual side of yoga. It’s hard to explain, and I remain devoutly agnostic, but when I come to the center of my mat and set my intention at the beginning of my practice, it clears my mind of everything else in life. As someone who is exceedingly prone to self-criticism, my long-standing intention connects to the theme of self-kindness (practicing kindness toward myself) and self-acceptance. Remarkably, over the months, I have noticed a distinct shift in my approach to life situations; I respond to external stimuli differently.
The studio is not intensely spiritual, and there is space for all individuals of different beliefs and religious backgrounds. But you are encouraged to make that element of the yoga tradition your own and to simply be open to whatever you feel and wherever your mind takes you. I believe the practice of yoga, with its unity of movement and breath, is beneficial regardless of where your mind goes. But practicing openness, and learning more about the yogi philosophy can be influential. Faith and belief are a part of the human experience, and I suspect that yoga may be a fundamental part of my spiritual journey—one I am just beginning to explore.
In early May, the studio announced it would be offering thirty- and sixty-day yoga challenges over the summer. If you did thirty classes in thirty days, you would get fifteen days of free classes in August; sixty classes in as many days would garner you the whole month of August free. Needless to say, I was intrigued, and not just because of the free yoga. By then, I was already going to the studio for about ten to twelve classes a week, so the challenge did not seem that far out of reach. Still, if you missed a day, you would have to make that class up sometime. My roommates can vouch for the fact that I took three classes in a row at least three or four times. It was an intense two months, but I finished two days early, triumphant with a huge sense of accomplishment. It was my first nonprofessional or nonacademic goal in years, and I did it for myself, no one else. I suppose you could say I owned the entire experience.
Over the past year, I have worked diligently in the studio and I have learned to listen to my body. Being in harmony and listening to signals, when to push yourself or when to relax and breathe, translates into the daily world around you. I do many different classes: vinyasa flow, hot Hatha, Ashtanga, Pilates, as well as Yoga Nidra (guided meditation). My practice has advanced significantly, and right now I am working on my unsupported headstands. Although I still go to the gym a few times a week for a cardio workout, I often close my day with a few relaxation poses to decompress and improve my quality of sleep.
In addition to successfully completing the yoga challenge, I also purchased an annual membership. Although I no longer live in that building, I am still nearby, and I found a real community that provides a sense of belonging. I did not expect this journey a year ago, with all the resulting changes and opportunities that came with it. In a city like Washington, always fast moving and always demanding, it is important to have ways to let go, physically and mentally. As I look back at this past year, joining the studio and learning to come to the center of my mat has been a defining life event, one that I hope will stay with me for years to come.
As my favorite instructor often says (along with many of the others), “The light within me honors the light in each and every one of you.” Wishing you all a Happy New Year, Namaste.

—Tarsi Dunlop
This post originally appeared in the Monterey News

No comments:

Post a Comment